Meanwhile, Elsewhere on the Job Site…
… we were also doing work on Sylvia and Aron’s house – and finishing up the last few things on Carolina’s house during the months of October, November, and December while we were framing Carla and Amber’s houses. In September we had focused on the interior of Carolina’s house – drywall, painting, trim, cabinets, countertops, and even finishing touches such as hanging mirrors and installing lighting – but it was during October that the exterior was complete.
In November we began allocating time to Sylvia and Aron’s house, finishing the air sealing and preparing for drywall, which we hung in December.
Late in December, after we’d dried in Carla’s house we began the electrical rough in. This process involves running the wires for all the outlets, light fixtures, and smoke alarms which need to be fished through the truss webbing to terminate at the breaker box and/or run through holes drilled in the wall studs. Callahan and I had assisted for a few hours in this process on Sylvia and Aron’s house a couple months ago but now we learned how to read the electrical plans and about what wire is for what kind of fixture/outlet.
The last week before Christmas break we also began air sealing in the interior of Carla’s house, a process I talked about in this post. We caulked along the top and bottom plates of the exterior walls, foamed any wall penetrations, and also foamed and/or caulked around windows and exterior doors. My hands were covered in spray foam and so I didn’t take any pictures during the process but I did get a funny picture of all our caulk and foam thawing out in front of the heater — it was really cold the day we did this!